Bangladesh Professional Engineers Registration Board
Institution of Engineers Pakistan was established in 1948 in Dhaka and was registered with the Registrar of joint stock companies under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860. After the independence of Bangladesh, the institution was renamed as Institution of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB) on 12th March 1972.
The Aims and Objectives:
- To build better world
- To promote and advance the science practice and business of engineering.
- To promote efficiency in the engineering practice and profession
- To regulate the professional activities, assist in maintaining high standards in the general conduct of its members.
- To lay down professional code of ethics and make it mandatory for its members
- To help in the acquisition and interchange of technical knowledge among the members
- To promote the professional interest and social welfare of its members
- To encourage original research in engineering and conservation and economic utilization of the country’s resources
In order to regulate the engineering profession and matters related therewith as well as the development of the profession of engineers IEB formed Bangladesh Professional Engineers Registration Board (BPERB) in 1999 by amendment of the constitution of IEB. The Bye-Laws were formed by IEB in 2001 for functioning BPERB and BPERB has started functioning since then.
The introduction of WTO-sponsored General Assembly Agreement on Trade and Services (GATA) treaty made it necessary for the free movement of professional engineering services between nations. Thus, with a view to providing competencies of international standard to the professional engineers, IEA formed IPEA to look after engineering profession. As a party to this organization, BPERB became a provisional member of EMF (Engineers Mobility Forum) in 2003. The EMF has been renamed as IPEA (International Professional Engineers Agreement) in 2009.
- MEMBERSHIP OF IEB
Membership of The Institution consists of two classes: Corporate and Non-Corporate.
1.2.1 Corporate Members: Fellows and Members.
Only Corporate Members shall have the right to vote, to requisition meetings and to be elected to the Council.
- Non-Corporate Members: Honorary Members, Associate Members, Student Members, Affiliates and Subscribers.
1.3 QUALIFICATION OF MEMBERS
1.3.1 ASSOCIATE MEMBERS
Every candidate for attachment to The Institution as an Associate Member or for transfer from Student to this class shall satisfy the following conditions:
Qualification: He shall have completed a course of studies in engineering leading to a degree and shall have received such degree recognized by the Council and other qualification may be accepted in consultation with the Equivalence Committee.
He shall have passed the Section “B” Examination of The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh which is included in the Rules and Syllabi for Associate Membership and Membership Examination or of any other Institution or Society, the Examination of which are recognized by the Council.
He shall have to submit the following information with the application form: Date of Birth, Nationality, Fathers name, Mothers name, Marital status and spouse name, Blood group, Copies of Educational Certificates, Transcripts, Studentship Roll/ID number, Registration number. The Membership Committee will assess and verify the documents and signature with the NID.
Every candidate for election to the class of Member or transfer from an Associate Member into this class shall produce evidence satisfactory to the Council that he fulfills the following conditions:
(i) Age: He shall not be less than 27 (twenty seven) years of age, on the date of application.
(ii) Occupation: At the time of his application for election he shall be actually engaged in teaching, research & development, design, planning, engineering management and/or the execution of engineering works.
(iii) Qualification: Qualification recognized by the Institution and included in the rules and syllabi shall be accepted for various classes of membership. Other qualification may be accepted in consultation with the Equivalence Committee and
- He shall be an Associate Member or have passed Section ‘B’ Examination of The Institution, followed by at least 02 (two) years’ experience under a Corporate Member of which he shall have at least one year’s experience in engineering activities.
- He shall have completed a course of studies in engineering leading to a degree recognized by the Council or as exempting him from Section “A” & “B” Examinations of the Institution and shall have at least 03 (three) years practical experience after graduation under the guidance of a Corporate Member or a teaching experience of 03 (three) years. Post Graduate Studies leading to a Master of Engineering/Master of Science in engineering and Doctor of engineering degrees from a recognized educational institution shall be counted as one and three years practical experience respectively.
- He shall have a Master of engineering/Master of science in engineering or Doctor of Engineering Degree from a recognized educational institution after having his Bachelor Degree in any allied subject and shall have four and 02 (two) years of practical experience respectively in the field of engineering activities.
- Recognized training record for the last 02 (two) years to be submitted with a report of minimum 1500 (fifteen hundred) words demonstrating competencies and applicants abilities, which will be assessed by Membership Committee Assessment Team.
Every candidate for admission into The Institution as a Fellow or transfer from a Member to a Fellow shall produce evidence satisfactory to the Council that he fulfils the following conditions:
(i) Age: He shall not be less than 37 (thirty seven) years of age.
(ii) Occupation: He shall be engaged in the profession of engineering after having held before his application for election or transfer, a position of high responsibility.
(iii) Qualification: He shall have one of the following qualifications:
- (i) He shall be a Member of The Institution for at least 05 (five) years.
(ii) He shall have at least 12 (twelve) years’ experience in a position of responsibility in teaching, research & development, design, planning, engineering management and/or the execution of important engineering works substantiated through a detailed report of 2000 (two thousand) words on experience demonstrating competencies and applicants abilities and recognized training record for last 02 (two) years, which will be assessed by Membership Committee Assessment Team.
- (i) He shall have fulfilled conditions necessary for Membership.
(ii) He shall have had suitable education and training in engineering and shall have at least 20 (twenty) years’ experience in a position of responsibility in teaching, research & development, design, planning, engineering management and/or execution of important engineering works and substantiated through a detailed report of 2000 (two thousand) words on experience demonstrating competencies and applicants abilities and recognized training record for last 02 (two) years, which will be assessed by Membership Committee Assessment Team.
(Suitable education means engineering education which relates to a degree in engineering)